Thursday, April 17, 2008

Playoffs!

And for the first time in a long time, I can add that exclamation point at the end of "Playoffs." Of course, I'm referring to the start of the NBA Playoffs, which kick off on Saturday on ABC/ESPN. This year looks like it could be a contest for the ages in both the Western and Eastern Conferences. (We'll just ignore that Atlanta-Boston series that will be pretty much a lock to be a sweep in Boston's favor). The biggest problem the Western Conference teams will have this year is not beating the hell out of each other to get to the Finals and then losing because they're so worn out. The teams in the West are so closely packed together in the standings that any "upset" is completely feasible and will not shock at all.

The series to watch in the first round will be the Phoenix/San Antonio contest, which will more than likely go to seven games. The Suns are finally adapting to the addition of Shaquille O'Neal and are playing great basketball right now, while the defending champion Spurs are starting to show their age and have been sputtering as of late, mainly due to the health of Manu Ginobili. It will be a knock down drag out battle as these two teams have become bitter rivals over the course of the last few years.

In the East, the best first round series will probably be Washington/Cleveland, but the one I'll be watching is Philadelphia/Detroit. As a Sixers fan, I'm ecstatic that they're back in the playoffs, but not too thrilled with the fact that they going in on a four game slide. I'm a realistic fan and I know that the Sixers basically have little chance of upending the Pistons, but the two teams split their regular season series with the Sixers taking the last two games and aside from the recent slump, Philly has been playing great ball since the All Star break. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sixers push this series to six games, but of course, I'm praying for an upset.

Since I'm a Philly man, I'm also looking to see how the Denver Nuggets do against the Lakers in their first round series. It would be great to see Allen Iverson wipe that smug grin off of Kobe Bryant's face, but with 'Melo collecting a recent DUI rap, the Nuggets look like they may be headed for an early exit. Still, a guy can dream, right?

All in all, this season has got me excited for basketball again. I think the last time I was this interested in the NBA Playoffs was when the Sixers went on their inexplicable Finals run in 2001, only to lose to the indomitable Lakers. As the years have gone on, I've become more of a football fan than a basketball fan, but from now until June, all that changes.

No comments: